Yangon, the commercial capital, is the main gateway to Myanmar. Evergreen and cool with lush tropical trees, shady parks and beautiful lakes, Yangon has earned the name of "The Garden City of the East".
Yangon was founded by King Alaungpaya on the site of a small settlement called Dagon when he conquered Lower Myanmar in 1755.
The Shwedagon Pagoda, one of the wonders of the world, is the prominent landmark visible from miles around. The Pagoda has a height of 326ft (100m). The Shwedagon Pagoda where the four Buddha's relics were enshrined is believed to have been built more than 2600 years ago, that is, during the Buddha's lifetime.
is situated in the heart of Yangon, on Bogyoke Aung San Road. The BogyokeZay, as it is commonly known, is the most popular tourist destination for shopping in Yangon. It is also one of the well remembered colonial buildings in Yangon.
Bogyoke Aung San Museum is located in Bahan Township, Yangon. It is the former home of General Aung San. Several old family photos can be seen inside the museum. The Museum was established in 1962, 15 years after the assassination of General Aung San and it remains open to public once a year on 19th July (Martyrs' Day).
The Botahtaung Pagoda is located on the Botahtaung Paya Road. Situated beside the Yangon River, the Botahtaung Pagoda means literally the Pagoda of the thousand military leaders and they were the ones who escorted the relics of the Buddha brought from India over two thousand years ago.
One of Myanmar more revered reclining Buddha’s. It is housed in a large metal-roofed shed, only a short distance, located north east of the Shwedagon Pagoda. The original one built in 1907 was damaged due to exposure to climate over the years. It was demolished in 1957 and rebuilt in 1966.
The China Town in Yangon lies west of the Sule Pagoda which is in the centre of downtown Yangon. It is a one stop visit in downtown area to a variety of restaurants, gold and jewelry stores, network game centers, cyber café, apparel shops and mini-markets. The roadside food stalls with steaming dishes and snacks, fruits and flowers, short snacks and sizzling fries are joys for both the locals and foreigners.
Located in center of downtown of Yangon. The City Hall building is considered to be a fine example of Myanmar architecture. The construction of this building started in 1926 and ended in 1936. The building is enlisted on the Yangon City Heritage List.
Kaba Aye Pagoda is located on Kaba Aye Road, Mayangone Township in Yangon. The name “Kaba Aye” means “World Peace” to which the Pagoda is dedicated. Maha Pasana Guha (Cave) and the Buddhist Art Museum are also located within the same compound.
Kandawgyi Garden or Kandawgyi Nature Park is located in Yangon. The Kandawgyi Lake placidly reflects the changing colour of the skies with the time of the day, and that of the golden Shwedagon Pagoda towering over the green trees lining its banks.
National Races Village was constructed by Ministry of Border Affairs, situated in Tharketa Township, on the left side of Yangon-Thanlyin Bridge. One can see buildings with significant symbols denoting various national races residing in the country.
Ngar Htat Gyi Buddha Image is located just across the Chauk Htat Gyi Pagoda in Yangon. It is one of the most impressive sitting Buddha in Myanmar.
St. Mary's Cathedral is situated in Yangon. The interior of the Cathedral is richly decorated with some outstanding examples of featured exquisite stained glass windows.
Sule Pagoda is located in the center of Yangon, This 48 meter (152ft) high golden dome was used by the British as the nucleus of their grid pattern for the city when it was rebuilt in the 1880s. The pagoda's peculiarity is its octagonal-shaped, which retains its shape as it tapers to the spire.
The Allied War Memorial Cemetery is located at Htauk Kyant, 32km from Yangon, on the way to Bago. It is a memorial cemetery of the Allied soldiers who died in the Myanmar Campaign during World War II. The cemetery is peaceful and its beautifully kept grounds have 27,000 stone graves.
The Kyaik Khauk Pagoda, similar to the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon, is built on a hillock on the road to Kyauk Tan from Yangon.
Ye Le Pagoda at Kyauk Tan mean the Pagoda in mid-stream on a laterite reef. The Pagoda was built by King Zeyasana, the seventh king of the Pada Dynasty in the third Century BC. The height of the original Pagoda was only 11ft (3m).
Approximately 22 miles (35km) north of Yangon, just west of Yangon-Pyay Road, this park was established to protect indigenous wildlife species in natural environment. Elephant riding, trekking on jungle trails, boating on the lake are attractions of the park. The lake in the park is a stopover for migratory water birds.
Located only 80 km from Yangon, Bago was and ancitent capital of mon Kingdom in the 15th century, Shwe Thar Lyaung Reclining Buddha ( 55 meters long), Shwe Mawdaw Pagoda, Kalyani Simaordination Hall,28 meters hight huge Buddha image of Kyaik Pun Pagoda and the Palace of King Bayintnaung are some of the places of interest.